I’m currently running Ubuntu (11.04) with Windows in a VirtualBox, both at work and at home.
Every once in a while I have a need to share a file in one direction, or the other. So here are my notes on how to do it, for future reference!
Mounting a Windows share from Ubuntu is pretty easy:
- Share the folder, if you haven’t already
- Open your Home Folder, and go to File -> Connect To Server…
- Select “Service Type”: Windows Share
- Enter the server name, and logon credentials
- Job’s a good ‘un
Going the other way is a little more involved, and I think you need the Guest Additions installed:
- In the vbox instance menu, select Devices -> Shared folders
- Either right click and “Add Shared Folder”, or press Ins
- Select “Other” from the folder path drop down, and choose the host folder you want to access (tick “Make Permanent” if you’re going to need it in future)
- Back in Windows land, open Explorer and go to Tools -> Map Network Drive
- Your share will be called \\vboxsvr\<SHARE_NAME> (you should be able to browse to it if you’re not sure what it’s called)