Jenkins and oauth2_proxy

We hide Jenkins behind bitly’s oauth2_proxy, to control access using our Google accounts. After recently upgrading to Debian Jessie (amongst other things), we found that enabling security on Jenkins (using the Reverse Proxy Auth plugin) resulted in an error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.reverse_proxy_auth.ReverseProxySecurityRealm$1.doFilter(ReverseProxySecurityRealm.java:435)
	at hudson.security.HudsonFilter.doFilter(HudsonFilter.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1482)
	at org.kohsuke.stapler.compression.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:49)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1482)
...

Following the stack trace, we find ourselves here. It’s pretty obvious that the NRE is caused by u being null, but the real question is why we are in that if block at all.

It turns out that at some point the oauth proxy started sending a basic auth header, as well as the X-Forwarded ones we need. This makes the Jenkins plugin sad, when it tries to look up the user.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to have one without the other, which is an issue for other upstream applications. Hopefully at some point that flag will be added, but until then I’ve simply deleted the offending line.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s